Just started with a brand new clean install, never been used carbide, asked it to create me an open C project (using the instructions in the help) and then said 'build'. I kind of had an expectation that it would build - and - as the instructions suggested - would produce something that said 'hello open c' - a strange variation on hello world, but then my problems began...
First it couldn't find 'stdio.h', after some messing around, several times round the houses and many many frustrating hours of trying to work out why some screens display information you can't change I finally persuaded the system to add an include path to the include directory where stdio.h is to be found. Now stupidly I might have expected the 'wizard' to have done this automatically - a bit like that er strange redmond bunch manage?
Now I got to the next problem, it managed to compile having found stdio.h (so the two printf's and a getchar aren't too far wrong??) and it couldn't find some libraries. Strangely nor could I, but a little hacking later and I had deleted these from the 'must link' list, and I almost had linking - now all it needed was E32Main.
Now thoroughly disillusioned I was torn between knowing that E32Main is needed for Symbian apps and a thought that maybe there is some Open C library somewhere that should be included that I don't know about and that has an E32Main that calls the main the wizard carefully put in for me. Alas, with no help telling me which I just hacked the file to say E32Main not main. Hey presto a linked program!
Wonderful, time to relax and get a cuppa.
Then stupidly, and I mean really really stupidly I thought that running the program would work. Well, I pressed the 'run' button, the emulator crawled its way into existance (I mean, I really don't expect a dual core 3ghz machine to actually perform). Then nothing, not squat appeared on the screen, and the emulator disappeared - all of its own accord.
I added a break point, no difference, certainly no sign of stopping for a break.
So all in all, following the 'help' file instructions, using the 'wizard' and hoping to have an application that puts a simple text message on the screen is clearly something that requires considerably more time and effort than the 10 minutes I actually expected. Stupid stupid stupid me, I had actually thought that with all the protestations about S60 and Symbian being 'open for innovation' and 'the leading smartphone operating system' and all the associated crap that some one some where might actually have tested the 'developer' kit actually worked - I mean, stupid me, its obviously not important to have anyone actually provide an application that a user could download onto an apparently open operating system. No wonder so many people don't give a fig about the Symbian OS or S60 and buy whatever phone happens to be the prettiest.
I already hate the experience, I wonder how many days I will waste before doing my simple app on Windows mobile, or the iPhone, or Googles offering - because at least with them someone has bothered to make sure the basic developer tools work. And amazingly, windows mobile actually uses a developer tool I'm used to, not some hack of a hack of a piece of freeware that was lying around and considered good enough for us all because at least it wasn't tried and tested by millions of users.