I have a request to write a network enabled java mobile client with requirements that it can be downloaded from all operator networks and on all devices processing 100,000 of messages. I fear that not many network operators will give 3rd party apps free rein to create SSL connections on their network.
Managing the following common issues for all combos of mobile devices and network operators could become unmanagable and costly;
- Managing various Push/Pull midlet installation options;
- Pull Over-The-Air (OTA)
- Pushed from WAP or HTML server
- Operator Specific Push method, ie Sprint Nextel iDEN Mobile Application Manager (MAM) or some other arcane method
- Download from WWW to PC and then upload from PC to mobile phone via;
- Access rights to communications network. I know that we allowed to send small SMS text and even MMS media but one get's billed for these services; a good amount IMHO.
- HTTP/Socket the operator may not want to give 3rd party apps free range of the network and limit ports and even domains to keep control of what is happening on their network.
- PushRegistry - same limitations since data packets still travels through operators network.
- SMS/MMS - this could cost the user a small furtune; if they are getting messages from all over.
- Operator may required Midlet is Sun Java Verified and/or meet their own strict standards
- They may require Midlet is signed; usually part of verification process
- May require midlet developer/vendor partner with them; why is that?
So, I am thinking of advising to select a popular cross section instead; think good idea? It can always be expanded if the products lifetime is long.
Are there any lists on WWW that describes each Operators criterion for opening, trust?, network/ports to mobile java apps?
My list of USA Mobile Network Operators
- AT&T Mobility
- Verizon Wireless
- Sprint Nextel
- TracFone Wireless
- U.S. Cellular
- Virgin Mobile
- Qwest Wireless
- Cellular South
- Centennial Wireless
- Cincinnati Bell Wireless
Maybe someone can help me kick start my brain into gear.
Please comment Thanks!