Archived:SIS installation on the S60 3rd Edition emulator
SIS installation on the S60 3rd Edition emulator.
Attempts to install a SIS file on the S60 3rd Edition emulator will fail with the "File corrupt" error message.
In fact, it is likely that the SIS file is valid. However, the emulator does not have any root certificates installed and this is causing the SIS validation routine to fail.
To solve the problem, unzip the file certstore S60 3rd SDK.zip to your current SDK installation folder. It will provide the Symbian A, B, C, and D root certificates against which the Software Installer can validate applications signed with all certificates supported by Symbian.
Please note that
- The SIS files to be installed on the device must contain binaries built for the WINSCW platform.
- The emulator's IMEI is "000000000000000" and if a Symbian Developer Certificate is used to sign the SIS file, it has to include support for this IMEI.
- When the application is built for WINSCW, the files (binaries, resources, etc.) are automatically copied to the default locations as if the applications were already installed on the Z: drive. As such, an attempt to install the application will fail with the message "Unable to install. Component is built-in.". The "built-in" components can be removed by cleaning the project with the "abld reallyclean" command.
To transfer the SIS file to the emulator:
- Place the file anywhere under %EPOCROOT%Epoc32\winscw\c\Data - the file will be visible on the emulator's "File manager" application from where it can be opened with the "Software Installer".
- Load the file through the emulator's File->Open menu option.