Archived:Qt Mobility Contest - January 2010
Qt Mobility Code Competition
Open December 7, 2009 – January 31, 2010
Qt is the future of Nokia application development. We are welcoming you to take an early start in learning Qt and demonstrating the power of it.
Today (7th of December 2009) Forum Nokia is launching Qt Mobility Contest, grand prize being a trip paid to the next upcoming Nokia Developer Summit that takes place in summer 2010 in the USA. The contest is open to everyone.
Register to the contest at latest 30st of December 2009 (23:59 December 30st 2009 GMT)!
To participate in the code competition, you must create a working code example that utilizes Qt and the new Qt APIs that are being developed in the Mobility Project. A Technology Preview package has been released at http://qt.nokia.com/developer/new-qt-apis where you can also get more information these new Qt APIs. The code can be a traditional end-user functioned application or something that is useful for developers, such as a new framework or an implementation using one of the new Qt APIs.
Note that Forum Nokia would also choose suitable code examples, applications, frameworks and resources to this contest to be published in source code on www.forum.nokia.com wiki.
Participants can create several examples and each will be eligible for an award. If you submit five applications/frameworks, you have a much better chance of winning than if you submit just one!
Ideas for competition
You can start getting ideas for example by checking out the existing Symbian C++ examples found at the Forum Nokia and port those to Qt; or install the Qt SDK, have a look at the examples, and enhance the examples by using new Qt APIs.
To ease your task we've prepared an article linking Symbian C++ and Qt examples to suitable mobility APIs for possible example cases. See Symbian and Qt examples mapping to new Qt APIs.
Competition is open from 00:01 AM GMT Dec 7th 2009 to 23:59 January 31st 2010 GMT. Provide your solutions by latest during 31st of January 2010 to see are you the "qtest" of them all!
Registration and submitting your entries
Participants must accept the QT MOBILITY CONTEST RULES available in Qt_Mobility_Contest_Rules.pdf PDF document.
Do especially note that the entries may be made publicly available (including source codes) in Forum Nokia wiki. ´ The developer of the entry still owns the rights for distributing and further developing the entries.
In case there is something unclear feel free to contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registering to the competition must happen at latest 30st of December 2009 (23:59 December 30th 2009 GMT)
Registration is done simply by sending an email to email@example.com with subject : Qt competition registration - [name(s) of your code example(s)]
Please include the following information:
- A description of the code example(s) you're planning to implement
- Your contact information and contact preferences
We may contact you and provide our feedback on your ideas.
Returning the competition entries happens by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Qt competition entries - [name(s) of your code example(s)]
Include the following information:
- A description of the code example
- All the source code files and other parts of the project. The project must be able to compile on the targeted platforms with Qt 4.6 and the current release of the new APIs coming out of the Qt Mobility Project.
- Target platforms
- Is there platform specific (such as Symbian) code: If yes, describe the use case where it was needed.
- The devices the code example has been tested on
- Instructions for building the code example
- For example, if your code example uses a web service, what needs to be done to test it (for example, register to the service and apply for a developer key, etc.)
- Ready installer packages for testing purposes. In case of Symbian clearly state the needed capabilities.
- Screenshots (if applicable)
- Your contact information and contact preferences
- Your extremely valuable input to:
- The Qt mobility project
- Tools, IDEs, and SDKs
For the entries you will get an automatic response, which means that you have successfully submitted your entry/entries.
Evaluation of entries
The entries will be evaluated by a board of technical and business development experts from Nokia. The board will focus on evaluating the suitability of the code as an example, not as a commercial product.
We are very keen on improving our offering. Your input can - and will – have an effect on our roadmaps and the implementation of the APIs!
Criteria for evaluation per solution:
1) Supported platforms and devices (install base): 0-5 points
2) Code maturity and reusability: 0-3 points
3) Innovativeness: 0-3 points
4 a) In case of an application:
- How useful the code example is for end users and business potential: 0-3 points
- UI, usability and UI "wow", 0-3 points
4 b) In case of a framework, plugin, or something else that doesn't have a UI but provides new features for developers, such as implementing a new Qt API:
- How useful is the solution for developers, is it supported by multiple platforms and devices: 0-3 points
- Code maturity and extendibility: 0-3 points
5) Your input to our offering: 0-8 points
- Your feedback on how we can further improve our offering is extremely valuable:
- What new use cases / APIs would you like to see in the new Qt APIs?
- Did you have to use platform specific APIs (such as Symbian C++ APIs) for some cases?
- How should we improve our tools?
- Did you find some APIs difficult to use? How would you improve those?
The maximum amount of points for one solution is 25, which means that with two solutions you can get 50 points, with four solutions 100 points, and so on.
For general questions there is a public discussion board monitored by Forum Nokia experts.
Mailbox for the competition is email@example.com
- Qt for Symbian
- Qt main page in Forum Nokia
- Qt 4.6
- Qt for Maemo preview
- Forum Nokia Library
- Qt 4.6 online documentation
- Symbian and Qt examples mapping to Qt Mobility APIs
- New Qt APIs Technology Preview
- Qt Mobile Extensions
- Rules of the contest : Qt_Mobility_Contest_Rules.pdf PDF document.
Main page of the contest is http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Qt_Mobility_Contest