Building S60 SDK Examples in Carbide
This article shows how to build a working copy of S60 SDK S60Ex examples using Carbide.c++ IDE.
First copy SDK examples into your workspace and build your application based on them. The Emulator configurations work fine after moving but you must go through additional steps to build phone configurations successfully.
The steps were tested on Carbide.c++ Version 2.5.0 (Build v201003121520_100) for
- S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS, Maintenance Release
- S60 3rd Edition SDK FOR Symbian OS, Feature Pack 2 v1.1
- S60 5th Edition SDK v1.0
We are using the helloworldbasic example as an example.
- Copy helloworldbasic folder into your workspace.
- Import the project into the workspace.
- Choose File->Import…->”Symbian OS Bld.inf file” (under “Symbian OS”).
- Find Bld.inf in group folder of the working copy of helloworldbasic.
- Select build configurations. You can add new ones later.
- Configure SIS Builder for phone configurations.
- Choose Project->Properties->Carbide.c++->Build Configurations.
- Choose a phone configuration.
- Add a .pkg file to SIS Properties. .pkg files are in sis folder. Check that selected pkg file has the same part in it’s name (“GCCE” or “ARM”) as the selected configuration has. Make sure that “Self sign sis file” option is chosen.
- Edit the selected .pkg file. Replace “..\..\..\” with “$(EPOCROOT)” in all paths.
- The End.
To test settings and changes
- Make the sample specific changes (if necessary) . For helloworldbasic, we delete lines with absent resource files (.r09,.r31,.r32) from the .pkg file.
- Build the project in the selected configuration.
- Check that .sis and .sisx files are created in the sis folder of the project.
- Install the created sisx file on your phone with Nokia Application Installer in Nokia PC Suite. Answer phone specific questions and warnings during the installation. To install an application your phone must be configured in the proper way. For the Nokia E61, for instance, choose Menu->Settings->Tools->Application Manager->Options->Setiings and set "'All in the Software installation parameter of the Application Manager instead of default "Signed only.
- Check that the application icon is in Menu->Installations on the phone.
- Select the application icon and press the selection key or choose Options->Open to run the application on the phone.
- Select the application icon and choose Options->Remove to remove the application from the phone.